Blackmores Lutein-Vision Advanced
- Maintains healthy vision
- Helps maintain eye retina and macula health
- Helps decrease free radical damage to the body cells
The Blackmores difference
Blackmores Lutein-Vision Advanced contains both lutein and zeaxanthin to support healthy eye function. The body cannot produce lutein or zeaxanthin so they must be obtained from the diet or from supplementation.
Blackmores Lutein-Vision Advanced also contains selenium and omega-3s to support healthy eyes.
· A percentage of the sales from Lutein-Vision Advanced supports the MD Foundation.
How it works
Lutein and zeaxanthin: Lutein and zeaxanthin are carotenoids found in the human eye. The highest concentration is found in the macular area of the retina.
The macula is responsible for central vision. Our ability to recognise faces, read, drive, see colours and contrast are all dependent on a healthy macula. They are also present in the lens.
In the macula, lutein and zeaxanthin form a layer of yellow pigment called the macular pigment, which serves as an effective natural filter of the most damaging light (near-to-UV blue light) that reaches the retina.
Human studies suggest that supplements containing natural lutein and zeaxanthin esters may increase the density of the macular pigments. Higher macular pigment density is associated with healthier eyes and the retention of visual sensitivity.
In addition to absorbing potentially harmful blue light, lutein and zeaxanthin also function as antioxidants and may help reduce the risk of age-related macular damage by decreasing the cumulative effects of oxidative damage to the retina and lens.
Lutein-Vision Advanced™ contains selenium as selenomethionine, an easily absorbed form of selenium. Selenium may play an important antioxidant role in the eye as part of an antioxidant enzyme called glutathione peroxidase (GSH). GSH is concentrated in the lens where it has an important role in preserving the clarity of the lens and preserving healthy eye function.
Omega-3 fatty acids
Several studies have found that higher intakes of omega-3 fatty acids and fish are associated with better macular health. Very high levels of polyunsaturated fatty acids, particularly DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), are present in the retina, specifically in photoreceptor cells and the vascular part of the retina.
The photoreceptors are constantly being renewed and therefore a constant supply of DHA may be required for proper retinal function. A marginal depletion may make the retina more vulnerable to damage.
Active ingredients per capsule
- Tagetes erecta (Marigold) extract equiv to dry flower (standardised to contain lutein esters calculated as lutein 5 mg) 500mg
- Selenomethionine (Selenium 50 µg) 124 microgram
- Zeaxanthin 1 mg
- Concentrated omega-3 triglycerides-Fish Oil 528mg: Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) 352 mg, Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) 176 mg
Adults - Take 2 capsules a day with meals, or as professionally prescribed.
Children- Not suitable for use by children under 15 years.
Contraindications & Cautions
- Always read the label
- Follow the directions for use
- Supplements may only be of assistance if dietary intake is inadequate
- Contains fish, soay bean products and sulfites
- This product contains selenium which is toxic in high doses. A daily dose of 150 microgram for adults of selenium from dietary supplements should not be exceeded
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding consult your health professional before use
- If you have any pre-existing conditions, or are on any medications always talk to your health professional before use
- Some products should be ceased at least two weeks before any elective surgery, please confirm with your health professional